A Brief History of Methodism in Altofts
In 1809 a little group of Methodists worshipped in a small meeting place believed to be the granary at Greystones, just across the road from the existing site of Altofts Methodist Church. In 1833 they built Upper Altofts Wesleyan Chapel. It was enlarged and renovated in 1865 and refurbished after a fire in 1886. In 1929 a Sunday School was built.
When the Yorkshire - Lancashire Railway came through Altofts in 1840, followed by the establishment of the coal mines in 1851, the population of the village increased. In 1871 Lock Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel was built.
Methodists in Lower Altofts worshipped in a wooden building erected in 1875, and in 1892 built Lower Altofts Wesleyan Chapel.
In 1989 the three Chapels joined in Christian unity and together they built...Altofts Methodist Church. Opened Easter Eve, April 14th 1990.
© Mary Carrington 1990